Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Beer Review 55: Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge


I am so stoked about tonight's review. I've been wanting to try this beer for almost a year now and I never thought I would since it was a one time release back in 2009 by Terrapin brewery in Georgia. Before I go any further with this review, I'd like to thank the person who made this possible.... Chris Pinto, my awesome trade partner form the south east. Chris thanks so much for this beer and all the other fantastic stuff you have sent my way. Depth Charge, is a milk stout brewed with Jittery Joe's coffee and lactose sugars to give this beer its amazing taste. Brewed to a very drinkable 7% abv, this beer is to be enjoyed as a dessert beer and with raspberry or chocolate cake. Furthermore, Depth Charge is was bottled in 22 0z bottles and was priced at a price not known to me, but whatever it was, it was sure worth the price. I'm not sure what would be the proper glassware would be for this beer, but I enjoyed mine out of a tulip and it tasted amazing. One final point about this beer. This is a milk/cream stout so it doesn't have much aging potential. Aging this beer for long periods of time may cause this beer to loose most of its coffee smells and flavors. However, I never had this fresh, and I still thought the coffee was evident, but if this beer has faded, it must have been even better fresh because Depth Charge as of June 2011, is still drinking like a champ.

Color: Dark brown with darker brown area's. Hardly any head came from a semi aggressive pour. Very little lacing.

Nose: Big time roasted malts and a coffee/espresso presence. Chocolate and mellow vanilla cream are . Very pleasant aromas.

Palate: Very smooth! drinkability is superb and the carbonation level is just perfect. The taste of espresso and chocolate coat the tongue, later followed the a milky cream texture from the vanilla.

Finish: Soft, short, not to complex, but very tasty and pleasant. One of my favorite milk stouts to date.

Rating: 94 out of 100




No comments:

Post a Comment