Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Beer Review 51: Lost Abbey Framboise de Amorosa


Looking back on all my beer reviews I realized I had not reviewed any Lost Abbey brews, so I took it upon myself to change that. Last night I popped open a bottle of this years brewery only release of Framboise de Amorosa, and man was it good. Usually I'm not a huge fan of Lost Abbey beer because most of their beer's tend to disappoint, but this one didn't, It was one of the better raspberry based beer's I have ever had. If you are a big fan of oak aged sour beers this one is for you, Framboise de Amorosa is a blend of sourness and sweetness that coexist beautifully. Bottled in 375 ml bottles and priced at $15.00 this beer is a bit pricey, but it worth the investment as this beer will age nicely for years to come. Furthermore, at 7% abv this beer is very drinkable as the alcohol is really well masked throughout. Moreover, I fully recommend enjoying this beer out of the proper glassware i.e. a tulip style glass or flute. Paring this beer with food may be tricky, but in my opinion this beer would be delicious with some dark chocolate or aged stinky cheeses. This is a good beer from what I consider a bit than better brewery, so seek it out when it's released you won't be disappointed.


Color: A reddish purple color...looks like a dark raspberry. It forms a nice off white finger and half head and leaves behind a decent amount of lacing.

Nose: What else...raspberries. Ripe fresh sweet raspberries. Also evident are hints of oak and yeast funk. Other red fruits appear faintly.

Palate: Well carbonated and tart/sour. Good drinkability. The mouth gets coated with raspberry flavors and then washed away by a gentle oak textures. The sourness of this beer is pleasant and enjoyable.

Finish: Long,sour, and a bit dry. Sour and then sweet, Not overly complex for a sour beer, but well crafted and executed.

Rating: 93 out of 100

No comments:

Post a Comment